Re: Another apologetical mess up

From: Adam Crowl (qraal@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 16:06:42 EST

    Hi ASA

    >From: bivalve@email.unc.edu (David Campbell)
    >To: asa@calvin.edu
    >Subject: Re: Another apologetical mess up
    >Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 11:11:16 -0500 (EST)
    >
    > >Reasons to Believe has come up with another factually inaccurate article
    > >about the Cambrian explosion.
    >
    >This particualr topic seems popular to mess up among IDers also. A few
    >further corrections:
    >

    >Several other phyla without well-developed skeletons are not known from the
    >Cambrian. A few have patchy fossil records; for example, Tardigrada has a
    >knwon fossil record confined to a single specimen from Cretaceous amber.
    >Also, Bryozoa has a good skeleton but is not yet definitely known from
    >before the early Ordovician.
    >
    >In addition to the body fossil of Kimberella, there are Precambrian traces
    >of radular scraping, distinctive of mollusks.

    I read recently that many of the trace fossils [like feeding trails] can be
    explained as due to Cnidarians or flatworms. How late are the mollusc
    traces?

    > >Annelids are first found in the Precambrian, not the Cambrian: "About 25
    > >percent of the specimens collected at Ediacara are annelids. The most
    > >common genus, Dickinsonia, may have survived into Paleozoic time. A
    >similar
    > >form, Spinther, is still living as an ectoparasite on sponges." ~ Preston
    > >Cloud and Martin F. Glaessner, "The Ediacarian Period and System: Metazoa
    > >Inherit the Earth.", Science, 217, August 27, 1982, p. 788.
    >
    >Whether Dicknisonia was an annelid remains debated. However, the presence
    >of Cnidaria in the Ediacaran seems definite.

    There are also assorted
    >fossils of uncertain affinities, including conodont-like forms, probably
    >either chordates or chaetognaths.

    any references for those?

    > >Thus the claim that there are all animal phyla are first found in the
    > >Cambrian is simply false.
    >
    >Also, the extremely high estimate for the number of phyla in the Cambrian
    >is wrong. The weird forms are increasingly fitting into known groups.

    My point entirely. And it has been known for years. I read a Scientific
    American article from 1992 that discussed echinoderms and how they'd moved
    from a "lawn" of genera to a classical branching tree thanks to better
    classification. According to Conway Morris the same has occurred for phyla.

      On
    >the other hand, there are some later fossils that do not fit, such as the
    >Tully monster from the Carboniferous Mazon Creek.

    Is there a URL for the Monster? What does it look like???

    >Another popular error with regard to the Cambrian explosion is to claim
    >that there is no evolutionary explanation for it. There are at least half
    >a dozen scenarios, mostly not mutually exclusive. Proving that one or
    >another was the most important factor may be impossible, but there is
    >evidence that some of the potential causes were in place, whether or not
    >they had much effect.

    Another fact that rermains unappreciated is that the rise in numbers of
    species is not instantaneous but seems to follow a curve that indicates that
    niches were being filled in a pattern that has analogues elsewhere in the
    fossil record. There is a clear order to events NOT some sudden "boom".

    >To some degree the misuse of this issue seems to serve Gould right for his
    >excessive emphasis on randomness in Wonderful Life and the like.

    "Contingency" is a better word. The vagaries of history...

    However,
    >the ability of different people to use the same evidence to support total
    >indeterminancy and special design suggests that the evidence is not the
    >basis for the decision in either case.
    >
    >David C.

    It certainly doesn't help.

    Adam