historical versus experimental science (from possible impact...)

From: David Campbell (bivalve@email.unc.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 10:22:20 EST

    >Can a scientific theory be developed based primarily on explaining what
    >happened or must it develop by making hard predictions about what will
    >happen (in a given experimental set up) and then testing those predictions?

    All science has to be developed based on what happened, whether it is what
    happened in an experiment done last week in the lab or the evidence about
    what happened five million years ago. The difference to me seems more
    quantitative than qualitative, relating to the amount of experimenting that
    can be done. It also varies much more with the specific question than the
    broad field. A lot of geology is experimental, such as Glenn examining the
    evidence of various tests and deciding where to try to find oil. If the
    well produces, his predictions were right. Other areas of historical
    science make specific predictions about what should be found if you study a
    certain rock or about what you will find if you replicate what seems to
    have been the conditions of formation for the sample at hand. The
    discovery of evaporites underlying the whole Mediterranean, for example,
    led to the hypothesis that it had extensively dried up upon being cut off
    from both the Atlantic and the Red Sea. Further evidence in support of
    this was discovered or recognized, such as the presence of deeply cut river
    channels far below modern sea level, the abrupt shift from non-marine to
    deep marine sediments when the strait of Gibraltar opened, and
    corresponding shifts in oceanic conditions outside the Mediterranean
    (slightly higher sea levels, etc.). It is less clear whether the bottom of
    the Mediterranean was largely dry or whether there were extensive
    hypersaline lakes. Experimental evaporating of seawater and models of the
    rate at which water would have come in from the rivers, rain, and seeping
    through from the Atlantic or Red Sea can help address those questions, but
    without a comprable setting today, it is difficult to be sure about details
    of the environment.

    From a Christian perspective, the reliability of historical evidence is
    particularly important. If Christ's death and resurrection are not
    historical facts, Christianity is pointless. Questioning historical
    evidence is a rather foolish approach (not that that was the intent of the
    question at hand, but some YEC approaches do so). Historical sciences also
    are a part of seeking to understand creation in order to properly rule over
    it and thus are obeying the mandate given in Genesis 1:26 and 28 and
    implied in 2:19.

    David C.