Re: Imago Dei and the Pre-Adamite Theory

From: Dick Fischer (dfischer@mnsinc.com)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 11:19:42 EST

    Hi Paul, you wrote:

    >I understood you originally to say that ''ish" was only used for people
    >either not descended from Adam or not faithful to God. If you are saying,
    >only sometimes is this true, then you have no logical biblical basis for a
    >distinction elsewhere.

    I believe "only" came from your question, and I responded, "that is the gist."
    Here is the sequence of our conversation I posted earlier:

                    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    >Now as to the Hebrew words "adam" "ish" and "enowsh", are you saying
    >1. "adam" is only used to refer to people who are either descended from Adam
    >(through Noah) or are in covenant with God or the context also mentions
    beasts.

    I don't see any exceptions to that.

    >2. "ish" and "enowsh" are only used to refer to people who are either not
    >descended from Adam (through Noah) or are not in covenant with God or the
    >context mentions women?

    That is the gist of what I am saying. Bible translators never saw this,
    and so
    it
    isn't seen in translations to the detriment of interpretation. When 'adam and
    'ish
    appear together, the translators awkward choices out of ignorance made.

                    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    First of all, It is hard to be specific when we are dealing in generalities.
    And
    remember, what I am proposing is a bit avant garde compared to what has been
    the traditional interpretation, so it should not be surprising that I can't
    make an
    appeal to any old commentary. But if the main line Bible expositors were
    right,
    we wouldn't have a Bible/science brouhaha going on today. Henry Morris would
    still be an hydraulic engineer, (and the Christian community would be better
    served.)

    The word 'ish has a broader scope than 'adam. Just as "man" has a broader
    meaning than "American." A recent immigrant to this country is caught in
    between. Even an immigrant who becomes an U. S. citizen may call
    himself either an American or call himself by his former nationality. I see
    the
    Bible writers in the same situation by the time of Moses. But Ezekiel was
    addressed as "son of Adam" (bene 'adam) repeatedly, indicating where he
    stood with God. Translators, not recognizing any distinction, translate the
    phrase, "son of man" starting in Exek.2:1. I believe this is a mistake.

    Likewise Daniel is another example. Pointing to the coming Messiah, Daniel
    relates a vision: "... and, behold, one like the Son of man ('enowsh) came
    with
    the clouds of heaven ..." (Dan. 7:13). Yet Daniel is addressed: "Understand
    O son of man (bene 'adam): for at the time of the end shall be the
    vision" (Dan. 8:17). Should there be no distinction between a prophet and
    the coming Christ? Are Daniel and Christ synonymous?

    In the New Testament, occasionally Christ is called "son of David," but more
    often, "son of man." All four of the gospels include this phrase repeatedly
    respecting Christ. We also find "son of man" in Acts 7:56, Heb. 2:6, and
    Rev. 1:13; 14:14. In every instance "man" is the Greek anthropos meaning
    "human." The phrase "son of man" should be reserved for Christ who is
    nowhere called the "son of Adam." To differentiate, a prophet should be
    called "son of Adam," in my estimation, not "son of man."

    Dick Fischer - The Origins Solution - www.orisol.com
    "The answer we should have known about 150 years ago."