Re: Imago Dei and the Pre-Adamite Theory

From: PHSEELY@aol.com
Date: Sun Mar 19 2000 - 16:22:31 EST

    Hi Dick,

    you wrote

    << The word 'ish has a broader scope than 'adam. Just as "man" has a broader
     meaning than "American." A recent immigrant to this country is caught in
     between. Even an immigrant who becomes an U. S. citizen may call
     himself either an American or call himself by his former nationality. I see
     the Bible writers in the same situation by the time of Moses. But Ezekiel
    was
     addressed as "son of Adam" (bene 'adam) repeatedly, indicating where he
     stood with God. Translators, not recognizing any distinction, translate the
     phrase, "son of man" starting in Exek.2:1. I believe this is a mistake.>>

    With reference to Isa 31:5, you earlier wrote, "had the translators any
    awareness that 'adam and 'ish signified two distinct populations, those who
    remain faithful to God and those who rebelled against God..." Since as you
    say above, "'ish has a broader scope than 'adam" and as I pointed out refers
    more than once to people who are both descendants of Adam and who remain
    faithful to God, there is no logical linguistic basis for saying the two
    words refer to two distinct populations.

     << Likewise Daniel is another example. Pointing to the coming Messiah,
    Daniel
     relates a vision: "... and, behold, one like the Son of man ('enowsh) came
     with the clouds of heaven ..." (Dan. 7:13). Yet Daniel is addressed:
    "Understand
     O son of man (bene 'adam): for at the time of the end shall be the
     vision" (Dan. 8:17). Should there be no distinction between a prophet and
     the coming Christ? Are Daniel and Christ synonymous?>>

    The phrase, "one like the Son of man ('enowsh)..." simply means that the
    person had the appearance of being a human being. Psalm 80:17 also refers to
    a "son of man"; and the ultimate reference is to the Messiah, "the man of thy
    right hand." Yet in Psalm 80:17, the son of man is "son of 'adam." So, as
    with 'ish and 'adam, I think distinctions between 'enowsh and 'adam are also
    unfounded linguistically and arbitrary.

    <<In the New Testament, occasionally Christ is called "son of David," but
    more
     often, "son of man." All four of the gospels include this phrase repeatedly
     respecting Christ. We also find "son of man" in Acts 7:56, Heb. 2:6, and
     Rev. 1:13; 14:14. In every instance "man" is the Greek anthropos meaning
     "human." The phrase "son of man" should be reserved for Christ who is
     nowhere called the "son of Adam." To differentiate, a prophet should be
     called "son of Adam," in my estimation, not "son of man.">>

    Au contraire, Christ is called the "son of Adam" in Luke 3:38.

    I am wondering if your tools for searching Scripture are adequate. May I
    recommend The Englishman's Hebrew and Chaldee Concordance and the The
    Englishman's Greek Concordance. Or the computer program Bible Works from
    Hermeneutika.

    Best wishes,

    Paul

     Dick Fischer - The Origins Solution - www.orisol.com
     "The answer we should have known about 150 years ago."