Re: leaving the faith

From: glenn morton (mortongr@flash.net)
Date: Sat Mar 11 2000 - 12:04:16 EST

    At 03:39 PM 3/11/00 -0600, Wendee Holtcamp wrote:

    >>make matters worse. That being said, I would still say that the only way
    >>out is some form of concordism.
    >
    >What is concordism?
    Concordism is the view that the Biblical stories concord with actual
    events. That is that in general there is a lot of historical content in them.

    >The stories you mention still speak to me how powerless wisdom and
    >intellectual belief are compared to having a true love for God in one's
    >heart.

    Years ago I ghost wrote a book for Josh McDowell. I remember one thing he
    said that made a lot of sense to me (although I don't think he really lives
    by it). He said,"The heart can not rejoice in that which the mind thinks is
    false."

    It is not intellectual belief which is powerless. Without it we have
    absolutely no reason to believe in the resurrection.

    >Love is more powerful even than faith! (re. 1 Cor 1:13). Loving God is a
    >foreign concept to so many, and is difficult for myself as well. Its so much
    >easier to love people in the flesh than to love God who is Spirit. And God,
    >through the Bible, says if we can't love the people in our lives than how
    >can we truly love God? We can't. Its part and parcel. Look at how many Bible
    >passages refer to Love versus how many refer to Wisdom!
    >
    >Yet feeling loved by God is as difficult as loving God. It is perhaps why
    >some turn away. Both Peter and Judas betrayed God. One believed in God's
    >forgiveness and turned back. The other killed himself.

    And maybe some turn away because they don't think it is true. That is the
    reason my former boss who was an atheist and the son of a preacher left
    Christianity. He no longer thought Christianity was true. I asked him once
    if it would make any difference, if he was told that he could hold to the
    spiritual truth of the Bible but that he didn't have to hold to the
    historical truth. He laughed and asked me if anyone could really believe
    that.
    glenn

    Foundation, Fall and Flood
    Adam, Apes and Anthropology