Re: leaving the faith

From: Wayne Dawson (dawson@gray.ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 06:05:33 EST

    Glenn Morton wrote in response to Windee's message...
    [massive cut to save space].

    > Claiming, as some do, that the Bible must be believed as being God's
    > word, when the accounts it gives don't match reality would not have
    > been enough to salvage Farrell's belief system. Once again, this is
    > why this area is so important. I know you aren't saying this Wendee,
    > but those who think that this is an unimportant disputation, simply
    > haven't looked around at those who leave the faith because of the
    > intellectual problems. And those like the YOung-earthers, who give a
    > make-believe science as the explanation only make matters
    > worse. That being said, I would still say that the only way out is
    > some form of concordism.

    This is a complex issue, but I wonder if personality doesn't fall into
    this picture somewhere. Religion is at the bottom of it is faith and
    nothing more, which makes it one of the flimsiest of things to pin a
    hope on.

    For example, (if I chose to) I could probably compose some long list
    of infractions that my wife has done to me, etc., etc., [insert
    violins playing in minor key the background], and therefore, etc. etc.
    [insert scene walking off into the sunset]. However, I did take the
    woman on faith and I can't really know the end of it, until it really
    is the end.

    Now, in principle, Christianity is supposed to be a Christ looking
    enterprise, and religion in general is supposed to be a big picture
    looking enterprise. However, much of religion ends up being more a
    human enterprise, and an self interest oriented one at that.
    Individuals can find themselves caught up inadvertently in some form
    of power politics (which can get ugly in the circles of the church:
    the place where all sinners are supposed to know they are forgiven).
    Intellectuals in particular are probably more cautious about
    expressing that something is 'True(C,R,TM)' (especially if they have
    been trained well as a scientist, philosophers, etc.) and hence are
    vulnerable and quite likely to become a victim of some political
    display somewhere in their life.

    If one begins to see the essence of Christianity from this political
    dimension only, rather than the central issue of living the Christ
    centered life and looking to an ultimate meaning for their existence,
    then perhaps they have lost faith in seeing out their promises to the
    end. That's back to focusing on my wife's infractions. Of course, I
    can demand that she demonstate something or other, and maybe she would
    even fall for that, but then I would probably only get more creative
    about what I required. I could do the same thing with God too. Where
    is that Mercedes Benz anyway, and why didn't you smite that miserable
    self centered pig that gave me so much trouble? Look at that clown,
    he's driving the Benz, and I don't even have a car! You've done me
    wrong God. [Insert shaking fist at the heavens]. (Note: I recognize
    that people reject Christianity for more serious reasons than this,
    but still...)

    Whereas I agree that being able to point to train loads of extra
    biblical sources and 10 sigma precision measurements (neither of which
    I have in my hand) would give me far more confidence to pin my faith
    on the message witnessed in scripture, and normally, I would probably
    feel good reason to reject such claims as made in the Bible since they
    don't measure up to the scrutiny of scientific pile drivers, there
    still seems to be something right about the message (the deeper
    message), that keeps me going on with it, just like I go on with my
    wife. Just as some would say that they don't see the deep meaning of
    life as so, strangely, I can't really see at as anything but so. In
    the end, I can only say that "I believe in God, and there is absolutely
    nothing I can really say to defend that faith. So kill me if you
    wish." :-)

    in Grace we do proceed,
    Wayne