Re: leaving the faith

From: glenn morton (mortongr@flash.net)
Date: Sat Mar 11 2000 - 09:44:33 EST

    At 10:40 AM 3/11/00 -0600, Wendee Holtcamp wrote:
    Isn't Charles Templeton the one who started the Templeton
    >Foundation? Isn't that a spiritual organization? In that case he believes he
    >is still following God perhaps, but is deluded by the father of lies?

    Charles Templeton was an evangelist, a good friend of Billy Graham, with
    whom he alternated as a preacher at Youth for Christ Rallies in the 40's.
    Both of them were fundamentalists. But Templeton began to study the
    intellectual side of the coin. He left the preaching circuit to go to
    Seminary to try to solve the intellectual issues begging Graham to join
    him. Graham refused and remained a preacher. Today Templeton is little
    known except among afficionados of those who leave Christianity like me.
    Templeton hosted a TV program "look up and LIve" from 1952-1955.Toward the
    end of 1955,Templeton spoke at Yale and met with various students. One of
    them was the atheist captain of the debate team. THe two of them debated
    Christianity. Here is what the account says:"The two of them debated the
    truth of Christianity alone in a borrowed office. At the end neither had
    convinced the other. The student conceded, however, that Templeton had made
    'a hell of a good case.'
            "Templeton's first reaction was elation, but he realized that he too had a
    concession to make--his arguments no longer convinced himself. 'In the heat
    of discussion I believed them, but, alone, I knew that I had been
    role-playing.'
            . . ."Not long after his debate with the Yale student, Templteon quit the
    television program and 'gave up the ministry.'
            "About his irrevocable decision to leave the ministry Templeton states,
    'There was no real choice. I could stay in the ministry, paper over my
    doubts and daily live a lie, or I could make a break. I packed my few
    possessions in a rented trailer and started on the road home to Toronto."
    Charles Templeton,"Inside Evangelism" in Ed Babinski, Leaving the Fold,
    (Prometheus Press, 1995), p.290-291

    The next story in BAbinski's book is about Farrell Till, a man I have
    debated on the inerrancy list. He is one tough debater and advocate for
    atheism. He too was a preacher. He had been a missionary overseas,
    memorized the Gospel of John, and stauchly defended the Bible. His story say:

    "During this period of my life, however, something was happening. I had
    begun to see that discrepancies and inconsistencies were in other books of
    the Bible, besides the synoptic Gospels, ony now I was away from the
    carefully orchestrated environment of Bible-college campuses where
    professors could explain away the problems. In fact, I was able for the
    first time to see that the 'explanations' I had accepted before were not
    really explanations but merely unlikely conjecturs. I found myself on an
    irreversible trajectory toward agnosticism.
            "I thought at first that I could find logical explanations for the
    apparent discrepancies int he Bible, because they were surely just
    'apparent' discrepancies. The Bible was, after all, the verbally inspired
    word of God, so if I had found problems in it, there had to be solutions
    to them.
            "The longer I studied the Bible critically, however, the more I realized
    that I would never find solutions to the problems I had identified, because
    there were no solutions. Teh Bible was not the verbally inspired, inerrant
    word of God; it was just a collection of contradictory, discrepant books
    that had been written by superstitious ethnocentrics who thought that the
    hand of God was directing the destiny of the Hebrew people." FArrel Till,
    "From Preacher to Skeptic," in Ed Babinski, Leaving the Fold, (Prometheus
    Press, 1995), p.294.

    Claiming, as some do, that the Bible must be believed as being God's word,
    when the accounts it gives don't match reality would not have been enough
    to salvage Farrell's belief system. Once again, this is why this area is so
    important. I know you aren't saying this Wendee, but those who think that
    this is an unimportant disputation, simply haven't looked around at those
    who leave the faith because of the intellectual problems. And those like
    the YOung-earthers, who give a make-believe science as the explanation only
    make matters worse. That being said, I would still say that the only way
    out is some form of concordism.

    glenn

    Foundation, Fall and Flood
    Adam, Apes and Anthropology