Re: Imago Dei

From: PHSEELY@aol.com
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 19:57:57 EST

    Dick wrote:

    << It is a great temptation to take ancient Hebrew words, translate them
     directly
     into English, and then make an interpretation based upon what modern
     English-speaking peoples might have meant had they used such words.
     In Hebrew "all" and "every" are used similarly to the way we would say
     "much," "many, " or "some." >>

    When I argued that Gen 10 says all of the nations and peoples that the
    Hebrews knew of were descended from Noah, and hence "Adamites", I was not
    arguing from the words "all" or "every". I am arguing that Gen 10 gives the
    boundaries of the ENTIRE world as known to the Hebrews at that time and hence
    that all peoples in that world were understood to be descendants of Noah.

    <>

    Now as to the Hebrew words "adam" "ish" and "enowsh", are you saying
    1. "adam" is only used to refer to people who are either descended from Adam
    (through Noah) or are in covenant with God or the context also mentions beasts

    2. "ish" and "enowsh" are only used to refer to people who are either not
    descended from Adam (through Noah) or are not in covenant with God or the
    context mentions women?

    Paul S.