Re: ID:philosophy or scientific theory?

From: glenn morton (mortongr@flash.net)
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 13:54:07 EST

    At 07:12 AM 3/9/00 -0500, George Murphy wrote:
    > May it be so! But the problem is that the things which are debated seldom
    >brought into any connection with what should be the center & basis of
    Christian thought.
    >I don't mean that the answer to every question is "Jesus" or that all
    disagreements can
    >be resolved by referring to the cross. But when ID, irreducible
    complexity, the flood,
    >functional integrity, fossils, imago dei, the big bang, apparent age &c
    can all be
    >discussed by Christians at great length with little attempt to relate them
    to the
    >christological center then something is awry.

    I would suggest one other reason for the lack of what you want.
    Observational evidence. The issues above which you note are discussed all
    involve observational evidence and scientists (who make up a big part of
    this list) love observational evidence and the discussions it can generate.
     But when you get into theology, there is no grand arbitor of which
    interpretation is correct, at least not one that we all agree to.

    And while you may not see a relationship to Christ in our discussions, I
    certainly do. As you and I have debated before, if there was not fall, then
    Christianity is a myth and Christ was unnecessary. And I for one, AM
    uncomfortable making that event a myth with little connection to reality
    and by that, I mean HISTORY. While lots of people have no problem taking
    that approach, I for one, can't and won't go that direction. If I became
    convinced that there is no possible way for the primeval story to have any
    relationship to what aactually happened in the space-time manifold of our
    universe, then I for one, would do what Provine did--leave the faith. so,
    you may not see this as important at least one member of this group does
    see it as important and related to Christ.
    glenn

    Foundation, Fall and Flood
    Adam, Apes and Anthropology
    http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm