Re: Imago Dei

From: Preston Garrison (garrisonp@uthscsa.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 19:05:30 EST

    >Dick Fischer wrote: "... if bara means an act of special creation and if
    >'adam is
    >Adam, then the image originates about 7,000 years ago and follows the
    >line of
    >descent of the Jews until Christ makes it available for all.
    >
    >Today, if you like the first choice, everyone is in the image of God. If
    >you
    >prefer the second choice (as I do), then it only accrues to followers of
    >Christ."
    >
    >No, I don't "like" the last part of the last sentence.
    >
    >More to the point, I don't see it as reasonable.
    >
    >When I was a non-Christian, it says, then I was not Imago Dei.
    >Then, sometime in 1960 or 1961 I became one, and your thesis
    >says I then became Imago Dei.
    >
    >Hard to pick up on that one, Dick.
    >
    >I know, by my thesis Adolf Hitler was an Imago Dei. Well, as sick as he
    >certainly was, I still think he was Imago Dei.
    >
    > Burgy

    I agree with this. When Jesus was asked (in an attempt to put him in a bind) whether to pay taxes to Caesar, He responded that since Caesar's image was on the coin, to yield the coin to Caesar. When he goes on to say that they should yield to God what is His, He is plainly implying that they should yield themselves to God, since God's image is on them. His questioners were not believers, or they would not have been trying to trap Him. I think this leaves inescapable that unbelievers are in the image of God.

    Preston N. Garrison, Ph.D.
    UTHSCSA-Biochem. Dept. Insert the usual disclaimers here.
    7703 Floyd Curl Dr.
    San Antonio, TX 78284-7760
    210-567-3702
    garrisonp@arwen.uthscsa.edu