Re: More on AD White.

From: glenn morton (mortongr@flash.net)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 00:23:48 EST

    At 09:31 PM 3/1/00 -0600, James Mahaffy wrote:
    >Now Glenn, if I am not mistaken, Ted Davis is a historian of science.

    He is.

    >If he says you should be VERY careful about quoting White when he talks
    >about religion and science that sounds like a professional judgment that
    >should be listened to. We should listen to Ted on this score as much as
    >we listen to you cautioning us about someone who has a reputation of
    >doing poor geology.

    I don't doubt that White has some problems. I wouldn't disagree with Ted
    there. WHat I am disagreeing with is the ability to cite a guy when I have
    gone back to the original sources (a translation of it in this case) and
    checked out what White said about Cosmas. If he is correct on that topic,
    imo, then it is ok to quote him. WHat I object to is the blanket don't
    quote him. The only reason I can see to do this to a person is if he is
    absolutely 100% wrong on everything he says. I know that isn't the case
    with White on Cosmas. I have read Cosmas' CHristian Topography and
    everything White says is true. If Ted wants to show that I am wrong, point
    by point on Cosmas, then go ahead. As anyone here know, I can be corrected
    having had to acknowledge a multitude of errors on this list alone.

    And by the way, I didn't find out about Cosmas from the Christian press. I
    found out about him from a critic. That is one of the best reasons to read
    and cite the critics, like White. An advocate for a given position, say YEC
    or Christianity, is unlikely to publish about the crazy uncle who lives in
    the attic who is an embarrassment. The tendency is to hide those crazies
    that are on ones side. Cosmas is an embarassement, but he illustrates what
    faith can do to knowledge.

    He took a verse from Hebrews and really believed that it was to be applied
    to the universe. The earth was like the Hebrew temple--same ratios of
    dimensions.
    This is what YECs do. THey take their interpretation and say that anyone
    who doesn't beleive what he says isn't a christian or is unfaithful. Cosmas
    beleived that anyone who believed in a spherical earth was not a real
    believer.
    glenn

    Foundation, Fall and Flood
    Adam, Apes and Anthropology