Re: More on AD White.

From: George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 07:20:03 EST

    James Mahaffy wrote:
    > Now Glenn, if I am not mistaken, Ted Davis is a historian of science.
    > If he says you should be VERY careful about quoting White when he talks
    > about religion and science that sounds like a professional judgment that
    > should be listened to. We should listen to Ted on this score as much as
    > we listen to you cautioning us about someone who has a reputation of
    > doing poor geology.
    >
    > I didn't know that White was often that wrong. I thought this was the
    > White that blamed Christians for what is wrong in the earth, but I just
    > called a friend and he says this was Lynn White. Those are two
    > different folks aren't they. Perhaps Ted can tell me if AD White is
    > widely known for something. Was he strongly antiCalvinists? It is
    > foggy in my mind so maybe Ted can enlighten me again.

            A.D. White was anti-traditional theology: He doesn't make a lot of distinction
    between Roman, Reformed, Lutheran, &c in his criticism. But to repeat, his book was
    not presented as an attack on all of Christianity - & in particular, not on undogmatic
    liberal protestantism. (I picked up at a librrary sale a copy of his rather large
    autobiography: Clearly the guy didn't have a problem putting words to paper. I haven't
    read it but will be glad to lend it to anyone who's like to give a brief review.)
            The oft-quoted article by historian Lynn White, Hr., "The Historical Roots of
    our Ecologic Crisis" (Science _155_, 1967, 1203), should also not be seen as simply an
    attack on Christianity. Its claim is that the idea of humanity being given "dominion"
    in Gen.1 & the way it's generally been understood in the Judaeo-Christian tradition is
    at the root of the environmental crisis. White recognized that there had been
    Christians - Francis of Assisi in particular - who have had a different view of nature.
    White's thesis certainly can be debated but I think there's a good deal of truth in it.
    "Dominion" often has been taken out of context and been equated with bulldozer and
    chainsaw exploitation.
                                                            Shalom,
                                                            George

    George L. Murphy