Re: to Bill Payne

From: Bill Payne (bpayne15@juno.com)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 23:16:33 EST

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2000 21:30:55 +0000 glenn morton <mortongr@flash.net>
    writes:

    >Be my guest. I asked this privately because I didn't want to put you on
    the
    >spot about his. I respect you too much to do that in this case.

    I asked Glenn if I might repost his question and respond to the list
    because I think this cuts to the heart of the YEC/OEC schism. I still
    get distressed when I see the "liar" label applied to YECs (I haven't
    seen this from Glenn), and when I see the generally stressed interchanges
    between YECs/OECs. With Glenn's permission, here are his questions.

                            ***************

    Bill, a personal question. Why do you look for data to support your
    model?
    Your methodology seems to be, find data to support the YEC model and
    ignore
    data that contradicts it. As you said on the ASA "I guess the main
    difference between the two of us is the way we react to contrary data. I
    tend to shrug my shoulders and ignore it. "

    Given this, isn't what you have the perfect epistemological method for
    self-deception?

    Given this, why is it then not ok for others to shrug their shoulders and
    ignore your data? AFterall how can you require of others (paying
    attention
    to your data) when you won't offer your opponents the same courtesy? Or
    do
    you expect people to pay attention to your data without your having to
    pay
    attention to theirs?

                            ******************

    My gut feeling is that we all look for data to support what we believe,
    whether conciously or unconciously. And I believe that we often
    subconciously skew the assumptions which control the data. Rather than
    spend my time trying to understand why something "proves" the OEC
    position, I would rather look for something which may have been
    overlooked up to this point that might turn the argument around. This is
    essentially what Phil Johnson, William Demski, Michael Behe and others
    are doing with ID - reviving the design argument which went out of
    fashion with the introduction of Darwin's _Origin of the Species_.

    From my point of view, Glenn's question, "Given this, isn't what you have
    the perfect epistemological method for self-deception?", assumes that I
    will disconnect from a rational view of the data and lose touch with
    reality. I value these discussions for exactly that reason; I want to
    put my ideas out to be refined or shreaded, as the case may be. I am
    fully aware of my own limitations and blind spots. I feel that God may
    have given us each other (OECs/YECs) for exactly that reason - so that we
    might together move closer to Him in truth.

    Having said that, Glenn's last question condems me. I should be more
    attentive to others' opposing ideas and offer my critique. Practically
    speaking, though, I hardly have time to pursue my own narrow interests,
    much less get involved in topics that I know very little about. When I
    see something I do have a working knowledge of, I may post a comment or
    engage a limited discussion, but for the bulk of these discussions I will
    probably just continue to "shrug my shoulders and ignore it."

    Is that fair for me to ask others to consider my ideas while I ignore
    theirs? I would certainly say what's good for the goose is good for the
    gander. Again, though, my primary reason for posting my ideas is to
    discover their weaknesses and merit, if any. I will be happy to return
    the favor if others' ideas are in an area in which I have a working
    knowledge.

    In summary, I think that the geologic record contains data with which we
    must grapple. Do I think perhaps the geologic record contains a record
    of events which cannot be explained except by resorting to miracles?
    Perhaps, and I have no problem with using miracles to resolve certain
    questions. For instance, I can see no way for sexual reproduction to
    evolve randomly from asexual organisms. Male and female humans are
    radically different. The sperm and egg delivery systems are a good
    example, in my opiinion, of irreducible complexity. Therefore, I believe
    God "created them male and female."

    Just as Jesus bypassed all naturalistic processes when He created wine at
    the wedding feast in Cana (John 2), so also I think He may have created
    the cosmos in a short period of time with the appearance of age. Am I
    saying that we should give up on science and just believe? No, not at
    all; but I do think we should be willing to accept the miraculous if it
    is consistent with the Scripture and perhaps suggested by what we
    understand of nature.

    I'm afraid I may have raised more objections than I've answered, but
    maybe something in this will be helpful.

    Thank you, Glenn, for your questions.

    Bill