Re: What are most convincing anti-Christian tracts?

From: George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 11:01:53 EST

    Joel Cannon wrote:

    > Hello all:
    >
    > Ted Davis's comments about Andrew Dickson White's book brings up what
    > I find to be an interesting question concerning anti-Christian writing.
    >
    > What books, articles tracts against Christianity do the people on the
    > list find to be most convincing? This need not, of course, involve
    > science (and in my opinion won't).
    >
    > We might add a second question asking what tracts are most effective
    > because like advertising, religious arguments can be effective while
    > having flawed logic or bad premises (which are accepted by the general
    > audience). White was apparently quite effective but maybe less
    > convincing to someone familiar with the data.
    >
    > I am interested to hear people's responses.

            Without disagreeing significantly with Ted's evaluation of White, I think
    it's also important to point out that his oft-quoted book was NOT written "against
    Christianity." Recall that the full title is _A History of the Warfare of Science
    WITH THEOLOGY in Christendom_ (my emphasis). I.e., what White saw as the enemy was
    theology, by which he meant essentially uncritical dogmatism. He wrote as a fairly
    typical Enlightenment liberal protestant of the 19th century. His understanding of
    what theology is, and of the need for serious theology, was as badly flawed as view
    of the history of science & its interaction with Christianity, matters upon which Ted
    has commented. But he did not understand himself to be at war with Christianity.
                                                            Shalom,
                                                            George

    George L. Murphy
    gmurphy@raex.com