Re: Life Death and Genesis

Guy Blanchet (guyblanchet@sympatico.ca)
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 22:52:09 -0300

PHSEELY@aol.com a écrit:

> In a message dated 7/23/99 4:04:12 AM Pacific Daylight Time, guyblanchet
> writes:
>
> << ...The Bible does
> not give in to sin...but it does take it into account. But it does not
> do it through accomodation and compromise. Throughout the Bible, there
> are numerous examples of God "taking into account" man's fallen nature.
> Some examples? What about God overlooking polygamy in the days of the
> patriarchs? Was He for polygamy then? No. What about God saying to
> slaves to love and serve their masters? Was He for slavery? No. ...>>
>
> According to Jesus, referring to Deut 24:1, "Because of your hardness of
> heart he wrote you this commandment; but from the beginning of creation God
> made them male and female." (Mark 10:4-9) Jesus is obviously rejecting the
> commandment, that is Deut 24:1ff.

Paul, it takes a lot of Biblical misunderstanding to come up with a statement
like that. You're so far off the mark (no pun intented) I don't even know where
to begin to straighten you out.

> Why? It seems to me it is because it is
> an accommodation to sin. Most commentaries call it a "concession."
> Concession to what? What else but sin?

How about a concession to the spiritual blindness of the commentators.

> Is "concession" to sin not an
> "accommodation"? It seems to me it is at least that. Also, John Calvin found
> a number of accommodations to sin in Scripture and called them
> "accomodations." See D. F. Wright, "Accommodation and Barbarity in John
> Calvin's Old Testament Commentaries" in Understanding Poets and Prophets, ed.
> A. Graeme Auld (Sheffield: Academic Press, 1993)
>
> Perhaps you have a global view of the Bible which is not really biblical and
> which prevents you from accepting the Word of God.

Paul, let's chalk up that last statement to your lack of command of the English
language. My global view of the Bible says that a statement like that one may
only be given by the Lord on the Day we will all stand in front of Him.

Guy Blanchet