Re: index fossils

Glenn Morton (grmorton@flash.net)
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 18:42:06 -0500

Bill Payne wrote:
>But David said either rapid burial or deep-ocean burial was necessary
>prevent bioturbation from mixing everything up. Are you saying that all

>of the Gulf coast sediments were deep-ocean deposits? Do we see
layering
>in these deposits?

I have drilled wells in onshore Texas, onshore Lousiana, onshore
Mississippi and have drilled wells from the shoreline out to 4000 feet
deep in the Gulf of Mexico. The layering of the microfossils is
consistent throughout that entire area. The Wilcox formation on the
surface in Duval County Texas dips deep into the subsurface and is last
penetrated in a well in Wharton County, just sw of Houston. After that
no well is deep enough to get to it until one goes south into Mexican
waters of about 5000 feet deep. Nowhere do we find the Wilcox
microfossils in any of the layers that cover the Wilcox throughout that
distance of probably 500 miles. Above the Wilcox is the oligocene Frio
and Vicksburg formation. Those layers have microfossils that are
different from the Wilcox. These sediments, on the surface in Western
Hidalgo county dip deep into the subsurface and the last well that
penetrates layers containing Frio/Vick microfossils is found right at
the coast line of Texas. Two wells have found the deeply buried
Oligocene layers, containing characteristic Oligocene bugs about 300
miles to the east, and about 100 miles south of New Orleans. Nowhere do
we find the Oligocene bugs in any of the covering sediments over this
distance. The Miocene bugs are above the oligocene and the same thing is
said of them. And so on through the pleistocene. The layering is real.

I wrote:
>Document a case of stress-induced, irreversible morpholgical change
>among forams, nannoplankton or diatoms. I don't know of any such case.

Bill replied:
>Document a case of _evolution_-induced, irreversible morpholgical
change
>among forams, nannoplankton or diatoms. Prove that the change was slow
>and gradual rather than rapid.

You were the one who suggested that stress could change the bugs. put
up or withdraw your claim. As to what I can prove, I can prove that the
forms of life alive today were not found in the older rock layers. and
the forms found in the older rock layers are not alive today. Life has
changed. This fundamental fact is the very basis of evolution. If the
forms found in the old rocks were identical to today's forms, then
evolution would be dead. I wouldn't try to prove evolution as if
evolution were a mathematical theorem. it isn't. But the change in
life forms is well documented and anti evolutionists have no explanation
for it.