RE: Accepting Genesis 1 as scientific truth

rice@mcc.com
Thu, 27 May 1999 16:55:02 -0500

Vernon Jenkins wrote:
>Don't you
>find it interesting that every word of Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek is also
>fairly interpretable as a number?

If a lurker may slide in gracefully - words in the English language can be
interpreted as numbers also, by using numeric values of the letters. My
understanding of this has been that it is used, if one takes it seriously,
as a form of divination, of fortune-telling, which as Christians we are told
to avoid. If one doesn't take it seriously, then its simply nonsense - like
trying to predict the future from the size of the Great Pyramid. Is there
another meaning for "numerology" - that isn't fortune-telling? Leaving
aside the questions of Creation, I'm trying to figure out exactly what we're
talking about there.

Janet Rice
rice@mcc.com