Re: Home School Science Curriculum

Stan Haan (haan@ursa.calvin.edu)
Sat, 08 May 1999 17:50:09 -0400

--On Fri, May 7, 1999 9:49 PM -0700 Jeffrey Lee <jalee@cts.com> wrote:

> Hi. My wife is just beginning homeschooling our 5 year old. She's found
> a great Christian curriculum that is really effective for teaching him.
> The one problem is that the science portion is distinctly YEC, which is
> not what we wish to teach him. Granted, at this stage, he's only
> learning really basic stuff and we could modify the curriculum on the
> fly, but we'd like to replace that portion so that we have a program in
> place for the next several years. At any rate, I'm interested in any
> links, resources, curriculum, or sage advice regarding how to teach
> Theocentric non-YEC science. TIA. --
> Jeff Lee
> Carlsbad, California
> http://www.users.cts.com/king/c/cjlee/
> http://www.stmichaelsbythesea.org/
> Public Key: ftp://ftp.cts.com/users/king/c/cjlee/jal_key.txt
> ______________________________________
> Lo! he comes to keep his word, Light and joy his looks impart;
> Go ye forth to meet your Lord, And meet him in your heart.
> -- John Wesley

Christian Schools International has a pretty good K-6 science series. It's
not perfect, but I think it competes well with secular science books on
scientific and pedagogical aspects, and also does a credible job of giving
Christian perspectives. Their url is
http://www.gospelcom.net/csi/catalog/science/

(I am one of the instructors of the science methods course at Calvin
College.)

Stanley L. Haan
Professor and Chair
Department of Physics and Astronomy