RE: Four Rivers Revisited

Vandergraaf, Chuck (vandergraaft@aecl.ca)
Mon, 3 May 1999 16:35:09 -0400

Earlier today, I composed a brief note expressing my concern that some of
the correspondents appear to be wading into areas outside their scientific
expertise. I didn't send it because I was uncomfortable with the tone of
that note. I don't want to offend anybody because we are all trying to serve
the Lord in our own way. I think that Steve has expressed my sentiment
quite well in that one must operate within an acceptable data set. I would
add to that "accepted theories." By now, C14 age dating has pretty well
been accepted, within its limitations. So have U-series disequilibria and
other radiometric dating techniques.

I find it curious that, to some, the validity of a technique or theory is
judged by their interpretation of the Scriptures. In other words, if the
method can be used to support a strongly held interpretation, it is valid,
if not, it is suspect. Sort of a "pick and choose" approach. Small wonder
if, collectively, we don't come across as very credible.

Chuck Vandergraaf
Pinawa, MB