Re: Phil Johnson on Focus on the Family

Moorad Alexanian (alexanian@uncwil.edu)
Mon, 03 May 1999 16:35:30 -0400

Dear Brian,

No one knows why the mathematics we invent helps us describe nature. Physics
is indeed simple--however, I cannot convince my students of that--because it
studies inanimate object (dead matter). For that reason physics serves as a
good example of what science is. It is true that describing the rest of
nature, the living, is most difficult. Animals may be sophisticated
computers but man is different. If man makes sense out of the workings of
nature, that means to me that sense was built into it, a sense that is not
material but spiritual. I agree that the tools that are useful to describe
the inanimate may not be appropriate to describe the living. I think that
the mystery is how a material being like man possesses qualities that are
not describable by matter theories, viz. physics, chemistry, etc. If man is
mind/body/spirit, then a true knowledge of man lies outside the realm of
science. There is no difference between the physics I do and that of the
atheist. God enters physics in the sense that man can reason like God and
can thus create and use mathematics to describe the regularities of nature.
But the mathematical models developed by the physicists are, in themselves,
devoid of God--otherwise it would not be science! On does develop models
assuming preexisting entities--Newton was not concerned about where the
planets came from. But radical evolutionary theory goes beyond that and
makes unsubstantiated claims about explaining everything and claiming that
the revealed truth in Scripture is nonsense.

Take care,

Moorad