Re: Phil Johnson on Focus on the Family

William A. Wetzel (n6rky@pacbell.net)
Mon, 03 May 1999 14:36:47 -0700

Dear Moorad:

Theistic Evolutionists do not necessarily advocate Unity of Knowledge. It
is held more frequently among theorists than practical science. Yes, I am
a theoritician. At least you have me pegged -- but not Theistic Evolution
itself. Most people in this camp agree that Man's Reason is insufficient.

But... We do have enough knowledge to realize that evolution is a part of
the creative process. And if one also believes in theism; then LOGICALLY,
Theistic Evolution is unavoidable. Any other conclusion would deny what's
known to science today. I pingeoned holed your comments because it seemed
typical of a fundamentalist/creationist point of view.

Now let's get into a little philosophy here: How can a monotheist deny it
to be true that there is no unity of knowledge (in this life or the next)
is beyond me! All knowledge is of God -- period.

Now let's do a little theology here: St. Thomas Aguinas's proofs for God,
he employs Ontological, Cosmological, and Teleological proofs. Because he
employed these methods (and more) it is certain that theologians have and
do subscribe to "some form of" Unity of Knowledge.

Is there enough to prove the case?? The answer is no. Theology like Unity
of Knowledge and Unified Theory still needs research and discovery. But a
case does exist and most theorists are heading in this direction as noted
in your original post. Even Stephen Hawking is relenting on his rhetorics
against God and Unified Theory.

Best Wishes,
William - N6RKY

--