Re: YEC and fossils

Steven Schimmrich (schimmrich@earthlink.net)
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 06:59:23 -0400

At 10:00 PM 7/13/98 -0600, Bill Payne wrote:

>Steven Schimmrich wrote:
>
>> Young-earth creationists DO accept modern science when it appears to confirm
>> their presuppositions. That's why some call it "creation science" and they
>> pretend to publish scientific papers in publications such as the Creation
>> Research Society Quarterly. They have a love/hate relationship with science
>> and eagerly cull from it any data which appears to support their position
>> (but, of course, ignoring all data which refutes it).
>
> Modern science is a two-edged sword that cuts both ways, my OEC friend.
> World-class astronomer Halton Arp was told not to publish his discordant
> red-shift observations. So he complied by writing a book of his findings.

I'm not familiar with Halton Arp. Who told him not to publish his findings?
I'm a skeptic when it comes to conspiracy theories. Maybe he just couldn't
get his data published in journals because it wasn't any good.

> As a result, Arp was denied telescope time by the guardians of the Big Bang.
> Last I heard, Arp is living in West Germany where he has greater freedom to
> pursue the truth.

The "guardians of the Big Bang"? Sounds like a rock group. Again I'm skeptical
of your version of this story. Where did you read it?

- Steve

--
   Steven H. Schimmrich
   Physical Sciences Department      schimmri@kutztown.edu (office)