Re: YEC and fossils

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 06:08:25 -0500

At 10:00 PM 7/13/98 -0600, Bill Payne wrote:
>Modern science is a two-edged sword that cuts both ways, my OEC friend.
>World-class astronomer Halton Arp was told not to publish his discordant
>red-shift observations. So he complied by writing a book of his
>findings. As a result, Arp was denied telescope time by the guardians
>of the Big Bang. Last I heard, Arp is living in West Germany where he
>has greater freedom to pursue the truth.

I agree that it was wrong for him to be denied scope time. But, even
today, few accept his analysis. If his analysis was so good, don't you
think he could convince a few more people? Statistical analyses of what
Arp suggested have failed to confirm his hypothesis:

Halton Arp's anomalous redshifts
"Score another point now for the traditionalists. A study of 382 galaxies
in 92 compact groups has found no evidence for anything but chance
projections in the numbers, sizes, magnitudes, and morphological types of
the 45 discordant-redshift galaxies that the groups appear to contain.The
discordant galaxies were as small and faint as would be expected if their
redshifts truly denoted distance." ~ "No Anomalous Redshifts?", Sky &
Telescope August, 1995, p. 16.

glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood