Re: YEC and fossils

Jonathan Clarke (jdac@alphalink.com.au)
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 15:34:05 +1000

Bill Payne wrote:

> Modern science is a two-edged sword that cuts both ways, my OEC friend.
> World-class astronomer Halton Arp was told not to publish his discordant
> red-shift observations. So he complied by writing a book of his
> findings. As a result, Arp was denied telescope time by the guardians
> of the Big Bang. Last I heard, Arp is living in West Germany where he
> has greater freedom to pursue the truth.

Dear Bill

Three points: first, despite Arp rejecting the majority view on redshift, quasars,
etc, I do not think this means he believes in a young universe (correct me if I am
wrong, please). Second, despite being told "not to publish" his unconventional
views, his work has been published and widely publicised (it must have been if even
this hairy knuckled geologist has heard of him). Third, advising individuals
against publication does not automatically confer legitimacy on their work, after
all, it may simply have been inadaquate to start with.

Cheers

Jonathan