Re: Chemistry Problem

Glenn Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 21:47:14 -0600

At 10:59 PM 1/29/98 -0800, Allen Roy wrote:
>Glen, the following discusses the heat released by the precipitation of
>Calcite. However, flood catastrophists do not propose that
>precipitation is the cause of any of the limestones, dolomites etc in
>sediments considered to be Flood deposits (which is usually proposed to
>be near 90% of the sediments). It is proposed that the limestones were
>depositied as lime mud and ooze and not precipitated in shallow, quiet
>seas. Austin discusses this. So, your concern about cramming all that
>precipitation (and excessive heat fantasy) into a years time is simply
>irrelevent. No flood catastrophist proposes such an idea.

Where did the lime mud come from? And were does Austin discuss this. I
would like to get that article.

>Also, I know of no FLood catastrophist who proposes that all Calcite and
>related minerals had to form within the 1200 or so years between the
>Creation week and the catastrophe. Much related minerals was probably
>part of the original creation.

As I noted in my post on Wed. Jan 21, there are 3.9 x 10^16 moles of carbon
dioxide in today's world. And we are all very worried about it doubling, so
lets assume that in the preflood world there are 8 x 10^16 moles of carbon
dioxide in the atmosphere. This should keep the place toasty so Adam and
Eve wouldn't feel that evening chill on their naked bodies.

Now, J. M. Hunt notes that of the 51,000 x 10^18 g of carbon in limestone,
1,800 x 10^18 g are due directly to living organims, i.e. shells etc. This
portion of the carbonate record could NOT be part of the original creation
unless you believe that God created the fossils in the rocks. What are the
implications for this.

1,800 x 10^18 g of carbon in carbonate is 1.5 x 10^20 moles of carbon in the
carbonate. Since the living creature removes one molecule of CO2 from the
environment when it makes its shell, there must be that many moles of
carbon dioxide removed from the pre-flood world. After all the animals in
the fossil record are the remains of the preflood biosphere.

So, Lets calculate how many atmospheres of carbon dioxide must be removed.

1.5 x 10^20/ 8 x 10^16 (special preflood atmospheres worth of CO2)= 1875
atmospheres worth of CO2 must be removed. This means that in the 1656 years
between creation and the flood, the preflood animals removed the entire
reservoir of CO2 in

1656/1875 = .88 = 10.5 months.

How does this compare with the modern world? Bert Bohlin gives the data
for the carbon cycle (Scientific American, Sept. 1970, p 130) His absolute
numbers are a bit different from mine but according to him it would take 700
years for limestone to remove all the carbon in hte atmosphere. How do you
propose to make the shell fish and coral of the preflood world accumulate
the entire world's CO2 in 10 months?

>Someone asked for JUST ONE LIE to be dealt with. This may not be a lie,
>but it is a straw man and I [and some friends] are dealing with it.

I will answer your friends letter but this is not a strawman nor is it a
lie. I have REPEATEDLY state that I was not talking about calcium carbonate
being precipitated from solution but was referring to the formation of the
Calcium carbonate molecule from it's components. Yet your friend, attacks
my calculations as if they represent precipitation from water ONLY. Thus he
has erected the strawman. And I will show that you cannot precipitate the
observed quantities of limestone from the waters of the global flood because
there is not CaCO2 in solution.

>> Hi Allen,
>>
>> C. N. loaned me Krauskopf's Introduction To Geochemistry, 2nd. ed, so
>> I could look at the table your opponent was getting his information from.
He is
>> mistaken about the purpose of that table and misused the 270 Kcal in his
>> calculation. He made improper use of the information in the table of
Standard Free
>> Energy, Enthalpies, and Entropies. He was using the Gibbs free energy
value for
>> the product Calcite (CaC03). That value does not represent the heat
liberated by
>> the precipitation of calcite from solution.

As I have repeatedly stated, this was NOT, repeat NOT, what my calculation
was based upon. If your friend can't answer what I am saying then ...

[Irrelevant and nonresponsive calculation snipped]

>If, and it is an if which no flood catastrophist proposes, all the
>limestone were mysteriously precipitated during the flood catastrophe,
>the heat generated by that precipitation would not pose a problem.

If that were the case, then I would agree with you but as noted above, there
is too large a quantity of dead animal remains in the limestones to easily
be accounted for by the flood. You can't deposit limestone from the oceans
because there is, at maximum solution, only 10^-4 mole of calcium carbonate
/ liter of water. According to Whitcomb and Morris, there are 340,000,000
cubic miles of water which is 1.4 x 10^21 liters of water on earth. At
10^-4 mole/liter, the oceans can only hold 1.41 x 10^17 moles of calcium
carbonate at any time. Given the 4.25 x 10^21 moles of carbonate on earth,
the oceans can only hold 1/30,000 ths of the requisite amount. And today
only a fraction of that forms carbonate each year.

and

Foundation, Fall and Flood