Re: Honesty as a virtue

Gordon Simons (simons@stat.unc.edu)
Sat, 31 Jan 1998 09:50:02 -0500 (EST)

Quoting Tom Pearson, Burgy wrote:

> " As for those standards, honesty is certainly a primary virtue.
> Primary, and ubiquitous. I cannot think of any professional practice
> that would not have honesty on its short list of core virtues."

to which he comments:

> Again, I'm going to take a contrary view. It is not "honesty" that is
> primary, but "integrity.">
>
> The short form of an argument for my position is that we can all
> (easily) think of situations where honesty is not the best polict.
>
> The long form of the argument is developed very well in The recent book,
> INTEGRITY, written by Stephen Carter. Stephen, incidentally, will bring
> out another book of the same kind (this year, I believe) with the title
> "CIVILITY."

Barbara Ehrenreich has written a generally critical review of the Stephen
Carter's book for _Time_ magazine, March 25, 1996, which is available at

http://pathfinder.com/time/magazine/domestic/1996/960325/books.carter.html

In particular, she describes it as "alarmingly content free" and refers to
Carter's effort to "extricate himself from the swamps of moral
relativism."

Burgy, it appears that the case for replacing "honesty" by "integrity" as
a fundamental virtue is weak at best.

Gordie