Re: God vs gods question

Christopher Morbey (cmorbey@vanisle.net)
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 09:07:25 -0800

Moorad Alexanian wrote:

> At 09:00 AM 1/19/98 -0800, Christopher Morbey wrote:
> >How does one show logically that there is only One God rather than many?
> >One doesn't, is the simple answer.

....snip snip

> >The One God says "I AM". "Who do you say that I am?" is what he asks us.
> >The many gods are defined by us, we say who they are and they ask us to
> >believe in ourselves. Either way, our choice; so too, the consequences.

> I believe that the logic of the human mind would lead to a unique supreme
> being. Witness the attempts of physicists to seek a unifying theory making
> all forces manifestations of a unique one. The latter is consistent with the
> notion of a unique, supreme being. Note that Moslems and Jews cannot
> understand the Trinity we Christian believe for that very same reason.

Yes, I think I agree to a point. But hasn't the conclusion be reached _a
posteriori_? There is a direct selection effect in that you have made your
observation from the vantage point of prior belief in the One God. Colleagues of
mind who are much more adept at the "logic of the human mind" do not conclude a
unique supreme being or, if they do, they refuse to acknowledge it.

Christopher Morbey