Re: God vs gods question

Moorad Alexanian (alexanian@UNCWIL.EDU)
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 15:45:25 -0500 (EST)

At 09:07 AM 1/21/98 -0800, Christopher Morbey wrote:

>Moorad Alexanian wrote:
>
>> At 09:00 AM 1/19/98 -0800, Christopher Morbey wrote:
>> >How does one show logically that there is only One God rather than many?
>> >One doesn't, is the simple answer.
>> >

>....snip snip
>
>> >The One God says "I AM". "Who do you say that I am?" is what he asks us.
>> >The many gods are defined by us, we say who they are and they ask us to
>> >believe in ourselves. Either way, our choice; so too, the consequences.

>> I believe that the logic of the human mind would lead to a unique supreme
>> being. Witness the attempts of physicists to seek a unifying theory making
>> all forces manifestations of a unique one. The latter is consistent with the
>> notion of a unique, supreme being. Note that Moslems and Jews cannot
>> understand the Trinity we Christian believe for that very same reason.
>
> Yes, I think I agree to a point. But hasn't the conclusion be reached _a
>posteriori_? There is a direct selection effect in that you have made your
>observation from the vantage point of prior belief in the One God.
Colleagues of
>mind who are much more adept at the "logic of the human mind" do not conclude a
>unique supreme being or, if they do, they refuse to acknowledge it.
>
>Christopher Morbey

I do believe that the same element in the human mind/spirit that finds a
unifying force governing all the interactions in nature satisfying also
finds a single supreme being equally satisfying. It is hard to do any deep
thinking and not to conclude with the existence of a supreme being. I
believe those that succeed in not finding a supreme being after much
introspection and thought have concluded that they themselves are the
supreme being--pride at its best!

Moorad