Re: Why ICR "wins"

Steven Schimmrich (schimmrich@earthlink.net)
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 12:05:04 -0500

Pete wrote:

>ICR wins because they are "REAL" scientists whose interpretation of science
>is consistent with the priority of Scripture (from a literal gramatical
>historical interpretive view) not the other way around. You want the
>scriptures to conform to your view of science. They want to see science in
>a way that is consitent with scripture. It is simply a question of which
>you place first in your world view. Most Christians choose the latter view
>and therefore you find them somewhat unreceptive to your perspective.

You call them "REAL" scientists yet they have a long and sad history of
presenting
untruths, misquotations, and sloppy evidence to support their position.
This has been documented by many people and in many places by the way, if
you'd like some references.

Real scientists also publish their results in peer-reviewed journals and
present their research for criticism at national conferences. ICR
"scientists" do none of this because their research generally does not
stand up to public scrutiny (want to talk about Steve
Austin's incredibly sloppy and amateurish radiometric dating research?).

I note how you say that those in the ICR are people "whose interpretation
of science is consistent with the priority of Scripture" while people like
me "want the scriptures to conform to your view of science".

I would phrase it differently...

I would say that those in the ICR are people "who try to force science
into supporting their own particular interpretation of Scripture" while
people like me "try to search for the truth about how the natural world
works and if it conflicts with my understanding of Scripture, considers
that my interepretation of Scripture may be in error".

Note that I said "interpretation" of Scripture. That's what we're
talking about. Not the Truth of Scripture since I believe it is true but I
do not believe your interpretation of it is correct.

- Steve.

--      Steven H. Schimmrich             KB9LCG  schimmrich@earthlink.net      Department of Physical Sciences               Kutztown University      217 Grim Science Building, Kutztown, PA 19530      (610) 683-4437      http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/s-schim     Fides quaerens intellectum