Re: Terra

Glenn Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 17:54:51 -0600

At 07:02 PM 1/6/98 -0800, Arthur V. Chadwick wrote:

>This brings to light another interesting anomaly, not related to the
>Baumgartner model, but to the whole question of non-uniformity in the
>fossil record. As Glenn has just pointed out indirectly, 95% of the
>sediments on the ocean floor
>today are Mio-Pliocene. This leaves 5% for the Oligocene, Eocene,
>Paleocene, Cretaceous and Jurassic. I will be interested in whatever
>explanations any of you may have for this, because when I originally heard
>the report at GSA, there was a deafening silence from the captivated
>audience when the author asked for explanations, and he had none to offer
>himself. Looks to me like massive continental runoff characterized the
>Mio-Pliocene worldwide. That is something Baumgartner and others should
>not ignore in their modeling.
>

> | : :
> |: : : :
> |: : : :
> |: : : :
>Vol. |: : :
>Oceanic|: :
>Seds |: :
> |: :
> |: :
> |: :
> |: :
> |: :
> |: :
> |: : :
> |: : : :
> |: : : : :::
> |: : : : : : ::
> |:_________:____________:____:_____________________:_____:___:__:______
> Plio Mio Oligo Eocene Paleocene Cretaceous Jurassic

Art, I finally got around to checking some things. Thre is plenty of
Oligocene strata and it is found in drill cores of the DSDP. See "Brian E.
Tcholke, "Tertiary Paleoocianography of hte Western North Atlantic Ocean,"
in The Geology of North America Vol. M, "The Western North Atlantic Region",
1986

There is oligocene sediment beyond Bermuda and there is over 2000 meters of
Oligocene lower miocene shown in that article also.

If you ever find the reference, I would still like to look at it but I don't
think the author was correct.

and

Foundation, Fall and Flood