Re: Evolution and Christianity

gordon brown (gbrown@euclid.Colorado.EDU)
Sat, 25 Oct 1997 13:00:48 -0600 (MDT)

Inge,

Although many of us have heard of Wellhausen's JEDP theory, I think most
evangelicals in this country assume Mosaic authorship of the Pentateuch. I
rarely hear it debated in our circles. Thus we probably don't think much
about how to defend this view.

Such New Testament verses as Luke 16:29,31, Luke 24:27, John 1:45, John
5:46, Mark 12:26, Acts 26:22, Rom. 10:5 are interpreted as implying that
Moses was the author of a substantial portion of the Pentateuch.

On the other hand, some verses or passages such as Gen. 14:14, Gen. 35:20,
Gen. 36:10-43, and Deut. 34:1-12 certainly appear to be the work of a
later editor. In fact Gen. 36:31 and Deut. 34:10 appear to have been
written much later.

Gordon Brown
Department of Mathematics
University of Colorado