Re: wine

Arthur V. Chadwick (chadwicka@swac.edu)
Sat, 25 Oct 1997 10:07:25 -0700

At 11:36 AM 10/24/97 -0700, Gordon wrote:
>Just to satisfy the pedants among us, the word used throughout the New
>Testament for wine is 'oinos', a good old Indo-European word.
>
>Bauer, Arndt, Gingrich and Danker, _A Greek-English Lexicon of the New
> Testament and Other Early Christian Literature, 2nd Edition:
>
> oinos: wine, normally the fermented juice of the grape; the word for
> 'must', or unfermented grape juice, is truks.
>
>(There ollows a long list of references, mostly about drunkeness, none
>about unfermented wine. There weren't no referigeration back then, folks.
>In the Middle East grape juice became wine very fast!)

I am not a greek or hebrew scholar, so cannot address the linguistic issue
you raise, but I did read a treatise by Dr.Samuele Bacchiochi (interesting,
the name)(Gregorian Pontifical University now at Andrews University, and
yes, an Italian) on the use of the word translated as wine in the old and
new testament. He documented amply that the ancients had very
sophisticated methods for preserving grape juice in an unfermented state
indefinitely, and that new wine was "fresh squeezed" and old wine was stuff
reconstituted from the concentrated preserved stuff. He also suggested and
documented strongly that the NT use of the word translated as wine was
generally referring to the stuff tha didn' "ove in the cup".Although I
don't have the reference in front of me I can probably find a copy
somewhere if you are interested in the recipes he was able to find for
preserving the stuff.
Art
http://chadwicka.swau.edu