Re: Coal

Bill Payne (bpayne@voyageronline.net)
Thu, 23 Oct 1997 23:17:59 -0600

Glenn Morton wrote:

> Absolutely. If Bill believes in an old earth, and a global flood, then my
> note may have been misdirected. But there are several reasons that I believe
> that Bill is a young earth.

I do lean in that direction at this time.

> 2. Bill cited Wyatt, as an authority, I would strongly suspect that Bill is
> a young-earth person. Not many old earth people believe Wyatt.

I was unaware of the problems cited against Wyatt in a couple of posts
yesterday. If these are true, and I have no reason at this point to
doubt that they are true, then I cna only feel sorry for and pray for
Ron. I do appreciate the comments. Given that, some of his supposed
observations may still be valid and might merit further investigation.

> 3. Bill wrote: "Many YEC scientists are working to
> develop a working model congruent with scripture. My opinion is that in
> these "last days" a model supported by empirical data will emerge. The
> YEC position will then be at least plausible, if not compelling, to an
> unbiased inquirer."
>
> Which statement practically admits that he is a young earth creationist.

I might offer a slight refinement here. I am not really concerned with
the absolute age of the earth/universe. I am concerned with the
integrity of the scriptures and think Glenn has very articulately
described the problems associated with a rational endeavor to separate
allegory or poetry from history in the Bible. Where do we draw the line?
Once the fabric of scripture begins to unravel, there seems to be no
stopping it.

Coal is the one thing which I believe can be shown to be empirically at
odds with the generally accepted interpretation of a swamp deposit. If
we can show that coal has indeed been misinterpreted, then the fabric of
uniformitarianism will have begun to unravel.

Bill