Re: Few Christian Nobelists- why??

George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Fri, 17 Oct 1997 15:40:08 -0400

Gladwin Joseph wrote:

> Thanks for that post. It was encouraging to read. Finally a
> Nobel prize to a Godly man who happens to be a scientist.
>
> Sometime back there was an article in Christianity Today
> trying to describe why there were only 2 Evangelical
> Christian Nobel larueates.

I noted the statement in Walt's book & wasn't sure whether or
not he meant _contemporary_ nobelists or not. If not, Arthur Compton
certainly should be included.
Do you have the _Christianity Today_ reference? I'm interested
in this because I'm involved with compiling a collection of worship
resources relating to science & technology for the ELCA sci-tech work
group & want to include to include some representative "commemorations".
(Our calendar already includes commems of Copernicus & Euler.)
Of course "Evangelical" in the popular American sense isn't
coterminous with "Christian". I would be surprised if some Nobel
winners in the sciences weren't Roman Catholics.
George Murphy