Re: Few Christian Nobelists- why??

George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Sat, 18 Oct 1997 08:43:12 -0400

Donald E Degraaf wrote:
> Certainly we who give a high
> priority to our relationship with our families and with the Lord will find
> it impossible to "worship" our scientific work and devote as much time
> to it as some others do.

I don't find this very convincing. Science should be seen as a
genuine vocation, a way of serving God by carrying out the human
commission to neighbor & in nature. Of course the scientist who's a Xn
won't "worship" his/her work in the sense in which only God is to be
worshipped. OTOH, understanding that scientific work is a divine
calling may give provide a more solid motivation for it than the purely
secular scientist has.
George Murphy