Re: The recent ID discussion

George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Fri, 10 Oct 1997 07:30:38 -0400

Keith B Miller wrote:

> No one in the TE camp that I know of is limiting God's action. My position
> is simply that since scripture does not require that God break the chain of
> cause and effect to accomplish his will (especially in His work in creative
> history), that we cannot a priori dismiss that cause and effect processes
> will be found for any given event. Thus as a scientist I must devote
> myself to uncovering those processes. If such processes are presently
> unknown for a given event, that is all that can be said scientifically.

We cannot limit God's actions in an _a priori_ fashion, but God
can voluntarily limit God's actions. & even without examining the
theology behind such an idea, we can note that apparently God _does_ do
this - because laws which express such limitations appear to be valid.
So at least in the vast majority of cases God does not express
an absolute freedom by stringing together series of miracles.
George Murphy