Re: Time Mag article

Larry Martin (martin@npcts.edu)
Wed, 13 Mar 1996 14:42:22 -0600

Steven H. Schimmrich wrote:
> Don't get me wrong, I believe there's something to ID, but when YEC's
>mix it in with their other arguments then the whole package is rotten.
>And, who's out there promoting ID in a big way? It's the YEC crowd. If
>more working scientists, who aren't into YEC, came out for ID in a public
>way, then maybe it wouldn't be confused with YEC. Just my opinion.

The problem I would have with that is the claim (unsupportable in my
opinion) that Intelligent Design makes that one can infer ID based on
_scientific_ evidence. This is a theological overstatement. In order to
make this inference, I would have to know the intentions of the Creator and
be able to match those up in every case with what I can discover about the
created order. Since I am warned against such hubris (knowing God's mind,
or the totality of creation) in scripture, I won't make the ID claim. It
seems much more honest (and scriptural) to loudly proclaim both the
seemingly unintelligible and senseless nature of many aspects of the
creation (See Job about the stupidity of the ostrich...) as well as the
loving operation of a God who cares even for those who don't know Him (Acts
14:17). To put it as bluntly as possible, Intelligent Design is making a
claim contrary to scripture. For me, the fact that it is also
unrecognizeable as science is secondary.

-Larry Martin, PhD, Associate Professor of Physics
martin@npcts.edu http://www.npcts.edu/~martin/
(312) 244-5668 fax (312) 244-4952 home: (312) 478-0679
North Park College, box 30, 3225 W. Foster Ave., Chicago, IL 60625