Re: Time Mag article

Steven Schimmrich (s-schim@students.uiuc.edu)
Wed, 13 Mar 1996 14:23:13 -0600 (CST)

Allan Harvey (aharvey@boulder.nist.gov) wrote:

> I saw the Time article too. The thing that struck me was that the writer
> did not seem to realize that there was any difference between advocates of
> Intelligent Design and the ICR crowd. What the reporter did (I would hope
> out of ignorance and not malice) is not unlike identifying all believers in
> Islam with the Islamic Jihad, all people who care about environmental
> stewardship with Greenpeace, or all who oppose abortion with those who bomb
> clinics.
>
> I guess this shows that it is not just the YEC crowd that sees everything
> only in terms of the polarized extremes.

Unfortunately, the YEC crowd has taken to using the term "intelligent
design" and throwing it aroung in their talks (I saw Ken Ham and Gary Parker
recently and they both used the term). I think many YEC's see ID as a way to
get a foothold for creationism in the public schools.

Don't get me wrong, I believe there's something to ID, but when YEC's
mix it in with their other arguments then the whole package is rotten.
And, who's out there promoting ID in a big way? It's the YEC crowd. If
more working scientists, who aren't into YEC, came out for ID in a public
way, then maybe it wouldn't be confused with YEC. Just my opinion.

- Steve.

--      Steven H. Schimmrich       Callsign KB9LCG       s-schim@uiuc.edu      Department of Geology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign         245 Natural History Building, Urbana, IL 61801  (217) 244-1246      http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/s-schim           Deus noster refugium