Re: Time Mag article

Allan Harvey (aharvey@boulder.nist.gov)
Wed, 13 Mar 1996 15:32:29 -0700

Steve S. wrote:
> Unfortunately, the YEC crowd has taken to using the term "intelligent
>design" and throwing it aroung in their talks (I saw Ken Ham and Gary Parker
>recently and they both used the term). I think many YEC's see ID as a way to
>get a foothold for creationism in the public schools.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I believe there's something to ID, but when YEC's
>mix it in with their other arguments then the whole package is rotten.
>And, who's out there promoting ID in a big way? It's the YEC crowd. If
>more working scientists, who aren't into YEC, came out for ID in a public
>way, then maybe it wouldn't be confused with YEC. Just my opinion.

Just for clarification - am I correct in remembering that "Of Pandas and
People" (which was pictured in the Time article) is produced and promoted by
a group out of Dallas that is not at all affiliated with the YEC movement?
It sounds like you are saying that the YEC's have grabbed that book and run
with it for their own ends, making more noise about it than the people who
put it out and soiling its reputation via a "you are known by the company
you keep" mechanism. That's a shame - makes one wonder if the OPP authors
should make some sort of public stand against the YEC movement (assuming, as
has been my impression, they are not sympathetic to it).

| Dr. Allan H. Harvey | aharvey@boulder.nist.gov |
| Thermophysics Division | Phone: (303)497-3555 |
| National Institute of Standards & Technology | Fax: (303)497-5224 |
| 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80303 | |
| "Don't blame the government for what I say, or vice versa." |