'The Missing Day...'

H. Paul Jacobson (hpj3@u.washington.edu)
Tue, 5 Mar 1996 11:57:26 -0800 (PST)

A while ago I had asked for references on the 'Missing Day' legend.
Several people sent me information, including pointers to early
discussions in the ASA journal. Here's a newspaper account (rather old
I suspect) of Harold Hill's version of the legend that recently appeared
on one of the newsgroups.

Paul Jacobson 'A facility for quotation covers the absence
hpj3@u.washington.edu of original thought.' [Lord Peter Wimsey]

Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 09:31:47 CST
From: Tyler Nally <tnally@csci.csc.com>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.christia
Subject: The Missing Day...

Greetings Saints in Jesus Name!

I was with a good nazarene friend of mine of the weekend that loaned
me a copu of the following. I had a photocopy of it a long, long,
time ago. I seem to have lost it. I was looking for it the other
day and couldn't locate it. When he (my nazarene friend) mentioned
it when I was with him, I asked if I could borrow it. He'll get it
back in a couple of weeks. But, for the time being, this is the
contents of what I had lost....

Bro. Tyler

The following is copied from "The Evening World" in Spencer, Indiana.

"Did you know that the space program is busy proving that what has
been called a 'myth' in the Bible is true?" Mr. Harold Hill, President
of the Curtis Engine Company in Baltimore, Md., and a consultant in
the space program, relates the following:

"I think one of the most amazing things that God has for us today
happened recently to our astronauts and space scientists at Green
Gelt, Md. They were checking the position of the sun, moon, and
planets out in space where they would be 100 and 1,000 years from now.
We have to know this so we don't send a satellite up and have it bump
into something later on in its orbits. We have to lay out the orbit in
terms of the life of the satellite, and where the planets will be so
the while thing will not bog down. They ran the computer measurement
back and forth over the centuries and it came to a halt. The computer
stopped and put up a red signal, which means that there was something
wrong either with the info fed into it or with the results as compared
to the standards. They called the service department to check it out
and they said, "It's perfect." The IBM head of operations said,
"What's wrong?" "Well, we have found there is a day missing in space
in elapsed time." They scratched their heads and tore their hair.
There was no answer."

One religious fellow on the team said, "You know, one time I was in
Sunday School and they talked about the sun standing still." So he
got the Bible and went back to the book of Joshua, where they found a
pretty ridiculus statement for anybody who had 'common sense'. There
they found the Lord saying to Joshua, "Fear them not I have delivered
them into thy hand: there shall not a man of them stand before thee."
Joshua was concerned because he was surrounded by the enemy and if
darkness fell they would overpower them. So Joshua asked the Lord to
make the sun stand still. That's right. "The sun stood still and the
moon stayed...and hasted not to go down about the whole day." The
space men said, "There is the missing day." Well, they checked the
computers going back into the time it was written and found it was
close but not close enough. The elapsed time that was missing back in
Joshua's day was 23 hours and 20 minutes...not a whole day. They read
the Bible and there it said "about a day."

These little words in the Bible are important. But they were still in
trouble because if you cannot account for 40 minutes you'll be in
trouble in 1,000 years from now. Forty minutes had to be found
because it can be multiplied many times over in orbit. Well, this
religious fellow also remembered somewhere in the Bible where it said
the sun went BACKWARDS. This space man told him he was out of his
mind. But they got out the book, and read these words in II Kings,
chapter 20, "Hezekiah, on his death-bed was visited by the prophet
Isiah who told him that he was not going to die. Hezekiah did not
believe him and asked for a sign as proof." Isaiah said, "Do you want
the sun to go ahead ten degrees?" Hezekiah said, "It's nothing for
the sun to ahead ten degrees, but let the shadow return backward ten
degrees." Isaiah spoke to the Lord and the Lord brought the shadow ten
degrees BACKWARD. Ten degrees is exactly 40 minutes. Twenty three
hours and twenty minutes in Joshua, plus forty minutes in II Kings
make the missing 24 hours the space travellers had to log in the
logbook as being the missing day in the universe.

Isn't that amazing? Our God is rubbing their noses in HIS Truth.
That's right."

(Rev. George Lake, Pastor of Clovis, N.M. Church of the Nazarene,
personally talked to Mr. Hill by long-distance on the afternoon of
February 13, 1970 and Mr. Hill confirmed the truth of this article.)