Re: The Wedge of Truth : Splitting the Foundations of Naturalism by Phillip E. Johnson

From: David Campbell (bivalve@email.unc.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 27 2000 - 12:24:00 EDT

    > And further we have:
    >
    > A) Of course, Johnson is not a 'Dr.' , either.....
    >
    > ************** neither was Einstein.

    Einstein had a Ph.D. As a matter of fact, one of the top workers on
    Eastern Pacific bivalves is a lawyer; I do not know what formal biological
    training he had. Johnson does not try to claim greater academic
    credentials than is warranted, as far as I know, though in the earlier post
    the correspondant claimed more knowledge of paleontology for him than he
    shows. The problem is not that he does not have formal training in
    evolutionary biolgy or paleontology; instead, the problem is that he does
    not accurately represent current facts or views in these fields. More
    seriously, and I think the cause of his credulity towards unreliable
    sources on science, his theological claims have serious problems. He
    accepts the theological claims of atheists like Dawkins with regard to the
    implications of evolution. It should be rather obvious to Christians that
    an atheist has theological problems. A scientific explanation, such as
    biological evolution, should be considered an attempt at describing how God
    normally does things. A description of how God does things is not valid
    evidence against God being involved. Evolution is actually a smart design
    for dealing with certain problems.

    David C.