Ammendment to my own Re: Flood

From: Darryl Maddox (dpmaddox@arn.net)
Date: Sun Jun 25 2000 - 16:59:11 EDT

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Darryl Maddox" <dpmaddox@arn.net>
    To: <asa@calvin.edu>; "Bill Payne" <bpayne15@juno.com>
    Sent: Sunday, June 25, 2000 3:29 PM
    Subject: Re: Flood

    I should not have said the "data" was what had to be ignored or bent. The
    data can neither be ignored nor bent. Rather, I should have said it is our
    interpretations of the data and the coherence between those interpretations
    and laboratory and field experiments + chemical and physical theories and
    data which have also been independently verified through laboratory work
    that get ignored or bent. As an example: There is substantial data on
    settling rates of particulate materials of various sizes. The no universal
    flood group infers from this data and the existance of deposits of small
    size (+ other data) that the material was deposited slowly. However, the
    universal flood group ignores this interpretation (they can not ignore the
    existance of the rocks) and offers alternative interpretations.

    As the guys from ICR, and perhaps elswhere, point out (and I think rightly
    so) we are all using the same data. The difference is how we interpret it
    and how well those interpretations fit together and fit with the other areas
    of science that separate the groups.

    As I tried to say in the last few sentences of my previous post - I believe
    this is the way it always is in any area where there is not complete
    unanimity, whether we are solving a crime, desiding on a political policy,
    or infering past events and processes. Until there is unanimity on the
    criteria by which the various theories are to be evaluated, we can't have
    unanimity on the conclusions.

    Sorry about the sloppy wording.

     Darryl