Re: Flood

From: Darryl Maddox (dpmaddox@arn.net)
Date: Sun Jun 25 2000 - 16:29:12 EDT

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Bill Payne" <bpayne15@juno.com>
    To: <asa@calvin.edu>
    Sent: Sunday, June 25, 2000 7:46 AM
    Subject: Re: Flood

    > On Sat, 24 Jun 2000 03:07:05 EDT PHSEELY@aol.com writes:
    >
    > >If Gen 6-9 is taken as a VCR account, you are right. It cannot be
    > harmonized
    > >with a local flood---or a global flood either. Both camps have to
    > >ignore/bend Scripture and scientific data to make their theory fit.
    >
    > What does the global flood camp have to ignorebend?
    >
    > Bill

    After spending a few years researching the physical geology aspects of this
    topic rather carefully I would say about 90% of the sedimentological data,
    most of the paleontological sequence data, most of the paleoenvironmental
    data, and > 90% of the radiometric age data (if you throw in a young earth
    along with a universal flood) and a still significant amount of the
    radiometric data if you only insist on a universal flood but do not insist
    on a young earth. How you would do that or whether anyone does is not a
    question I have addressed or even care to address. But hey, everyone has to
    fudge (i.e. ignore or bend from previous posts) a bit here or there. And
    as long as we are all friends and can accept the following: most of us do a
    bit of fuding to neaten up the story; a bit of fudging almost always has to
    happen to make a reasonbly complete and coherent story about complex issues
    such as earth history; and that we are not all willing to fudge in the same
    place, it's ok that no one has a story that is a perfect fit with the data.
    No one ever said science would be easy or neat and complet. But it is a lot
    of fun.

    Darryl