Re: questions - reply

From: maxavid (maxavid@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jun 21 2000 - 21:36:19 EDT

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Skelton, Kim
      To: 'avid-l@calvin.edu'
      Sent: Friday, June 23, 2000 11:38 AM
      Subject: questions

      Hi all.

      I have a couple of questions that I hope doesn't sound too trivial.

      #2. Could someone please explain the differences between "online" and "offline." I am pretty sure I know these terms but am double checking. It is like when I do stage hand work for the concerts. I run into some roadies that have different thoughts of "stage right" and "stage left!" (Yes, I have also been a stage hand for over 18 yrs. now as well!) -

      These are VERY OLD AND STUPID terms that are used incorrectly. In the stone age, there was 3/4" off line editing (not computer controlled). It was done by 2 BVU200 top loader 3/4" VTR's and some horrible Sony controller. AND there was CMX. CMX controlled the lovely Quad VTR's (and the new fangled 1" VTR's that were just coming out). CMX was a computer, and it was controlling tape machines, and the VTR's were ON LINE with the computer, so it was on line. Not long after, Sony introduced the BVU800 3/4" VTR. People hooked up their BVU800's to the CMX via the old I2 (Eye Square) box. Now these 3/4" VTR's were ON LINE with the CMX, but editors still called it OFF LINE becuase when the conformed in the Quad/1" suites, they were ON LINING. And that is the stupid story. It is my belief that AVID refused to accept these incorrect works, and when better quality came along on the AVID, they called it FINISHING, instead of the incorrect but industry standard ON LINING.

      On line means computer controlled. Off line means not computer controlled. The editors in the late 70's distorted the meaning of this, and this is why you have these words today.

      This is called "incorrect common knowlege". It is the main reason I became a smart ass. Because I came up in this industry with people with very loud voices who were very belittling to me for not knowing certain information,and it turned out that much of that information was WRONG - it was common knowlege, but the common knowlege was WRONG. This certainly applied to the words
      on line and off line.

      bob Zelin in Orlando

      Again I hope it isn't tying up anybody's bandwidth with such simple things but...I just gotta know!

      Thanks,

      Kim
      Kim Skelton
      Media Coordinator
      Smullin Health Center / Asante Health System
      kskelton@asante.org
      541-608-5915
      fax 541-680-5853