Re: Dembski: 14 questions

From: Doug Hayworth (hayworth@uic.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 20 2000 - 12:01:30 EDT

    For what it's worth, I concur with what Keith, Howard, and David have said
    so far about the Dembski Intelligent Design (ID) questions. I haven't read
    much ID stuff, so I'm not sure about a couple of points. Perhaps you folks
    can clarify.

    1) Do ID investigators directly state what their overall objective
    is? Which of the following is it?

    ...a) To determine IF there are patterns of complexity CONSISTENT with
    prior design by an intelligent agent. ...b) To determine IF there are
    patterns of complexity that CAN ONLY be explained as prior design by an
    intelligent agent.
    ...c) To demonstrate THAT there are patterns of complexity CONSISTENT with
    prior design by an intelligent agent.
    ...d) To demonstrate THAT there are patterns of complexity that CAN ONLY be
    explained as prior design by an intelligent agent.2) Do ID scientists
    clearly state whether chemical/biological evolution by natural processes
    (which, to use Howard's language, assumes that the universe has a robust
    formational economy) is the mutually exclusive opposing theory to ID as
    they define it?This certainly seems to be the way ID is publicized. As I
    understand it, if ID pits itself against natural evolution, they will be
    faced with a major problem when it comes to mechanism. Even though
    particular cases can be cited in which our knowledge of all the
    evolutionary steps involved is incomplete, all data on mechanisms relating
    to descent and modification support evolution as understood by the general
    scientific community. We know how inheritance works; we know that DNA
    mutates; we know that selection and drift occur; etc, etc; And all these
    things are "random" and "probabilistic" within the constraints of the
    environment. Thus, when patterns of morphological or molecular variation
    (complexity) are interpreted evolutionarily, they are done as
    extrapolations of KNOWN mechanisms. And these extrapolations are not done
    lightly or blindly. I know that systematists and molecular evolutionists
    are very careful to make sure interpretations of evolutionary relationships
    have "statistical" support.

    What known (or even possible) mechanisms does ID have to support it? If
    IDologists determine a series of formational steps (Dembski's questions
    3-5), doesn't that support natural evolution rather than ID? And if the
    determine that something was designed by virtue of there being no
    mechanisms that can explain it, isn't that just a Gap argument that leaves
    them without an epistemological leg to stand on?

    Sincerely,
    Doug
    Douglas Hayworth, Ph.D.
    (Evolutionary and Population Biology)
    Department of Biomedical Sciences
    UIC College of Medicine at Rockford
    1601 Parkview Avenue, Rockford, IL 61107-1897
    Phone: 815-395-5894 Fax: 815-395-5666