Re: Methane in the late Archean

From: Adam Crowl (adam@crowl.webcentral.com.au)
Date: Wed Jun 07 2000 - 16:57:31 EDT

    Hi Paul

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: <PHSEELY@aol.com>
    To: <adam@crowl.webcentral.com.au>
    Cc: <asa@calvin.edu>
    Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2000 4:06 AM
    Subject: Re: Methane in the late Archean

    > Adam wrote
    >
    > << As is a necessity when pre-modern psychology states our thoughts are in
    our
    > hearts, that the Earth is flat, that the Sun moves around us, that hail
    has
    > storehouses like the winds, and so forth...
    >
    > I think Glenn's scenario tries to get geo-history straight but I'm not
    sure
    > his hermeneutic works when faced with all the other pre-scientific
    trappings
    > of Scripture. Do we defend the rising of the Sun to guarantee the rising
    of
    > the Son?
    > >>

    > Right on.

    Thanks... Gerhardus Bouw defending geocentricism was my inspiration for that
    line. I think the solidity of the firmament is something no one in their
    right-mind would defend even though it is well-attested in Scripture.
    Another point is "four-legged insects" in Leviticus, though I wonder if the
    Ancients didn't think, by analogy with humans, the first two limbs were
    "arms" and not legs.

    So how did the Ancients imagine the firmament? The impression I have is that
    they conceived of rainwaters being above it in some sort of reservoir.

    > <<Who knows what the order is in Job? I'm not sure the book is even by
    pure
    > monotheists since some passages are awfully suggestive of Sun-worship [Job
    > 37:21,22.] Is Job about Yahweh or Shamash?>>
    >
    > I thought you were correlating Job with Gen 1; but, you are right, Job
    could
    > have a different order or more likely no order in mind. Job 37:21 sounds
    > like it is speaking of the sun, but v. 22 says it comes "out of the north"
    > not likely to refer to the sun. I would have to have something clearer
    than
    > that before believing a canon which overall eschews idolatry includes a
    book
    > giving Shamash any billing.

    "Out of the North" is frequently used to described the direction of the
    Sun's rising AFAIK... so "north" doesn't mean our North.

    > to my
    >
    > >There may have been more than one idea of what the firmament was made of.
    > > metal or rock. But, the rock concept seems to dominate historically.
    The
    > > rock, however, is transparent, crystal, looking like "ice" Ezek 1:22.
    > (The sapphire seems to be the throne above the firmament, Ez 1:26)>
    >
    > You replied,
    >
    > <<But then see Exodus 24:10...>>
    >
    > I have neglected this Scripture because it does not contain the Hebrew
    word
    > for "firmament" so those who do not want to admit the solidity of the
    > firmament reject it; but, the "brickwork" mentioned is certainly a
    reference
    > to the firmament for its position beneath the feet of God is parallel to
    its
    > position in Ezek 10:1. The stone of which it is made, however, is
    described
    > not as crystal , but as sapphire (probably lapis lazuli). Perhaps the
    idea
    > is that the sapphire color of the throne of God above comes through the
    > translucent crystal, making it look like lapis lazuli. Or, it could just
    be
    > a variation. In intertestamental times, some Jews were still wondering
    what
    > the firmament was made of, and were pondering if of clay, copper or iron.
    > So, the only sure thing is that everyone agreed it was solid.

    An interesting cross-cultural parallel exists here in Australia since many
    shamans ["clever men" in Aboriginal terminology] speak of visiting Baiame on
    his crystal throne - and it's hard to understand why he has a throne in a
    culture without furniture. Makes me think of the OT prophet who visited the
    court of Heaven.

    > <<A good point. But then how do we apply any of the pre-scientific moral
    > philosophy of St Paul, especially since his "conscience" idea came from
    the
    > Greeks?>>
    >
    > I do not know the complete answer to this very good question; but, I spent
    > year studying the way Jesus used Scripture; and I came to the conclusion
    > that, like the rabbis, he looked for patterns of revelation, or we might
    say
    > topics that are individually woven together. I also like to check
    empirical
    > reality since God is the creator. I am confident that we can also inquire
    of
    > the Spirit even though our relationship to God is not as pure as that of
    > Jesus. And, what has the Spirit said through the ages to the Church. In
    > short, I see in Scripture itself, and perhaps in the Council at
    Jerusalem's
    > approach most clearly, that for theological questions we should look not
    just
    > to Scripture (which the Council brought in only at the end), but also to
    > empirical reality (experience), and the voice of the Spirit--both to us
    and
    > to the Church as a whole.
    >
    > Best wishes,
    >
    > Paul

    I tend to agree with your approach, Paul, but I wonder how we can reach
    believers in the double-bind of wanting to believe in a God of Truth even if
    his revelation's medium is flawed?

    Hence I tend to side with Dick Fischer's scenario and watch the development
    of Glenn's. Covering all bases - which definitely isn't a strong base for
    apologetics... *sigh*

    Adam