Re: Methane in the late Archean

From: glenn morton (mortongr@flash.net)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 17:07:44 EDT

    George wrote:
    > I have said many times - including the sentence immediately following the
    > statement you just caricatured - things such as
    >
    > "History is important - we can't claim that Christianity would be true
    even
    > Jesus never lived or if he died in bed at a ripe old age."

    But you pick and choose what history you think is important. We can't have
    some history be important and other history unimportant just because it fits
    our theological perspective better that way. If Scripture does teach false
    history, then we should know about it. To allow the Bible to be true while
    teaching a false history seems absurd in the highest to me.

    > You keep misrepresenting my view as a rejection of all historical
    evidence. I wish
    > you'd stop it.

    No I don't. I wish you would listen to what I am saying. I place the
    emphasis on the word 'all' in the above sentence. You don't reject ALL
    historical evidence but you do reject MUCH historical evidence. You can't
    have a true book teach falsehoods. Period. And you keep saying it isn't
    teaching the whole truth. That is why you think I misrepresent your position
    because you give lip service to some parts of the history being actual fact
    but then always allow other things not to be true and then say the Bible can
    be true even if it teaches untrue things. If it teaches falsity, then
    logically it is false. You feel that some subjective lessons you can extract
    from those historically false stories makes it ok for those stories to be
    false. (And I am not talking of the parables so let's avoid that
    red-herring.)

    > > THat can only be debated if one thinks that Jehovah's revelation from
    the
    > > beginning to the end is true.
    >
    > You have it backwards. How we decide whether Yahweh's revelation is true
    is by
    > evaluating the understanding (by which of course I mean more than just
    intellectual
    > correlation of facts & theories) it provides of life & the world.

    And this illustrates why I find your position untenable. If we don't
    evaluate it based upon objective, historical fact then we are evaluating it
    based upon what we feel, or upon 'auras' that we see around it, or simply
    because our parents taught us that it was true and our parents could never
    lie or be wrong about such a matter. Bahai, Islam, Shintoism, Buddhism etc
    all provide an understanding of life and the world--they are just different
    understandings. Why should anyone accept the assumption that the Christian
    understanding is the true understanding? A Bhuddist can say: " How we decide
    whether Buddha's revelation is true is by
    evaluating the understanding (by which of course I mean more than just
    intellectual
    correlation of facts & theories) it provides of life & the world."

    The muslim can say:
    How we decide whether Mohammet's revelation is true is by
    evaluating the understanding (by which of course I mean more than just
    intellectual
    correlation of facts & theories) it provides of life & the world."

    The Bahai, the Hindu, and the animist can all state the same thing with
    straight faces.
    Everyone can play this meaningless game of
    my-religion-has-the-true-understanding-of-life. Give me evidence that
    Mohammet is wrong--objective evidence. Give me evidence that Christianity
    isn't wrong--objective evidence. But don't tell me that God inspires
    falsehood. If he does inspire falsehood, then IMO he is not to be trusted.

    glenn

    Foundation, Fall and Flood
    Adam, Apes and Anthropology
    http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm