Re: Methane in the late Archean

From: George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 21:17:53 EDT

    glenn morton wrote:

> [...]

            I have said many times - including the sentence immediately following the
    statement you just caricatured - things such as

            "History is important - we can't claim that Christianity would be true even
            Jesus never lived or if he died in bed at a ripe old age."

    You keep misrepresenting my view as a rejection of all historical evidence. I wish
    you'd stop it.

    > > History is important - we can't claim that Christianity would be true even
    > if
    > > Jesus never lived or if he died in bed at a ripe old age. But that
    > doesn't mean that
    > > all material in Scripture must be understood as accurate history. Far
    > less does the
    > > truth of Christianity depend upon speculative mighta'been of ancient
    > history to bring
    > > Genesis into superficial accord with it.
    > > In discussion with people of other faiths which make claims about history,
    > of
    > > course their (& our) claims will be debated. With Muslims, e.g., did
    > Jesus really die
    > > on the cross? But what happens in discussion with those of _non_-historic
    > faiths, such
    > > as Buddhism? As far as I know there's no reason for Christians to debate
    > any of the
    > > known history of Gautama - as distinguished from his or later
    > interpretations of it.
    > > What needs to be debated is the relative value of the understandings which
    > Buddhism and
    > > Christianity provide of life and the world.
    >
    > THat can only be debated if one thinks that Jehovah's revelation from the
    > beginning to the end is true.

            You have it backwards. How we decide whether Yahweh's revelation is true is by
    evaluating the understanding (by which of course I mean more than just intellectual
    correlation of facts & theories) it provides of life & the world.

                                                    Shalom,
                                                    George

    George L. Murphy
    gmurphy@raex.com