Re: Discovery Institute and Professor J.Y. Chen

From: Paul Nelson (pnelson2@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 17:54:14 EDT

    Allan Harvey wrote:

    > For those who didn't read the original post carefully,
    > it should be noted that Glenn was not the slanderer
    > here -- he was posting something (adding his own
    > cautionary phrases like "may be") somebody else had
    > written in a reputable journal.

    Give me a break, Allan. Try this, by way of comparison:

    "I hear John Doe may be beating his wife. Gee, whaddya
    think about that?"

    Here is what Glenn wrote:

    > The idea that the Prof. Chen's interpretation of the
    > Chengjiang fossils is 'independent' of Behe's group
    > may be fanciful. This was just sent to me by an
    > acquaintance; I have ordered the full article..
    > It discusses the activities of the Discovery Institute
    > which may be funding Chen. So, how independent is
    > this? (see the last sentence of the second paragraph).
    > If true, the problem becomes one of whether Chen would
    > bite the hand that feeds him or not.

    Glenn is not "adding his own cautionary phrases."
    Rather, this is communicating as slanderous gossip
    something false, as Glenn would have learned had he
    contacted me or anyone at Discovery first.

    Professor J.Y. Chen has worked with Professor Paul
    Chien (a Discovery Fellow) of the Department of Biology
    at the University of San Francisco. Prof. Chien was involved
    in helping to organize the body plans meeting, and other
    Discovery Fellows (myself, Jonathan Wells) corresponded
    with J.Y. Chen about the talks we planned to give, as
    did all the presenters. But at no time was the Discovery
    Institute a formal sponsor of the meeting.

    Paul Nelson
    Senior Fellow
    The Discovery Institute
    www.discovery.org/crsc