Re: Discovery Institute and Professor J.Y. Chen

From: Allan Harvey (aharvey@boulder.nist.gov)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2000 - 17:00:30 EDT

    At 02:45 PM 6/2/00 -0500, Paul Nelson wrote:
    >The Discovery Institute gave no money to Professor
    >J.Y. Chen, either for the conference on the origin of
    >body plans, or for his own research. The speculations
    >about financial support from Discovery to Chen,
    >posted here by Glenn Morton, are utterly groundless,
    >and constitute a slander both against Professor Chen
    >and the Discovery Institute.

    For those who didn't read the original post carefully, it should be noted
    that Glenn was not the slanderer here -- he was posting something (adding
    his own cautionary phrases like "may be") somebody else had written in a
    reputable journal. The (apparently inaccurate) charge was in an item by
    Nigel Hughes in Evolution and Development. While I'm glad Paul was able to
    correct things quickly for us, I hope he or somebody at the Discovery
    Institute also writes an indignant letter to the editor of Evolution and
    Development, asking for a retraction. Chen should get an apology as
    well. Maybe the department where Hughes teaches should get a complaint
    about such a reckless charge. Of course Hughes should be afforded an
    opportunity to present any evidence he has before too many angry letters
    get written.

    Paul's note leaves unclear one other charge made in Hughes' article. Did
    the Discovery Institute provide financial and/or organizational support for
    the conference itself? I personally don't see anything wrong if they did,
    as long as this was not deliberately hidden. If they played a *major*
    role, it would have been appropriate for that to have been mentioned in
    things like the official conference press release.

    | Dr. Allan H. Harvey | aharvey@boulder.nist.gov |
    | Physical and Chemical Properties Division | "Don't blame the |
    | National Institute of Standards & Technology | government for what I |
    | 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80303 | say, or vice versa." |